Are you interested in applying for an MHC grant?
Let's Get Started! Here's what you need to know.
Need to Access Your Existing Online Grant Application? Click here
1. Check to see if your organization meets the qualifications.If you can answer 'yes' to all five of these questions, you are eligible to apply for a grant.
- Is your organization a nonprofit or government entity?
- Are the humanities a key component to your project?
- Have you identified humanities scholars or other experts to support the project?
- Will your project engage and benefit Maryland participants?
- Do you have matching funds to support project costs?
2. Determine what type of grant best fits your needs.
Civic Engagement Grants
Opportunity Grants are awarded under the Open Grants category.
3. For Major Grants, complete an online Letter of Inquiry by the deadline appropriate for your project.
Letters of Inquiry for Major Grants must be received by March 1 for the spring and by September 1 for the fall. You can complete your Letter of Inquiry by registering through the online application system.
Opportunity Grant applicants may skip this step.
4. Fill out the online application. If you are applying for a Major Grant, you must have first completed the Letter of Inquiry and been invited to apply.
Sample Major Grant Application Sample Opportunity Grant Application
5. Complete the application online and electronically submit it by midnight on the deadline date.
There are six parts to the grant application:
Basic information - Summary of the project, information about the applicant organization, including Federal I.D. and DUNS numbers
Narrative - Detailed information about the organization, project, team, work plan, and evaluation process
Budget - Detailed budget form with instructions. Click here for Budget instructions
To download a copy of MHC's Event Log, click here
Cultural Data Project - MHC is a partner of the Cultural Data Project (CDP). If your organization participates in the CDP, visit their website, select and run the MHC Funder Report, and attach the report to your application. Please note that by September 2013 all Major Grant applicants will be strongly encouraged to complete a CDP profile.
Appendix - supporting documents such as resumes and letters of commitment from partners
Please use our checklists to ensure that you have included all required information:
What you'll need to complete your grant application: Preparing Your MHC Grant Application
Double check these items before you click submit: Grant Application Checklist
Review Grant Writing Tips
Carefully review your application before clicking "submit." Late or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
If you do not have internet access, please contact us.