Goals and Deadlines
The Opportunity Grant program provides small grants, up to $1,200, that give priority to
the programming needs of small institutions and underserved audiences. The Opportunity
Grant is flexible, responsive, and encourages the use of the humanities in new and
- Successful Opportunity Grants share the following goals:
- Support public programs that use the humanities as the central resource
- Encourage the use of the humanities in new or innovative ways
- Promote high quality public programs that effectively engage Maryland residentsSupport programs throughout Maryland, including projects by institutions and organizations not previously involved with MHC
- Reach the public of Maryland, including audiences and communities (socio-economic, ethnic and geographic) that are not served by other MHC programs
Opportunity Grants are awarded under the Open Grants category.
As of September 2013, MHC's new Opportunity Grant deadlines* are March 1, July 1, and November 1.
You must submit your application to meet one of the deadlines that is at least 10 weeks prior to the start of your project. Notification of awards will occur five (5) weeks after the application deadline.
Projects must be completed within one year of award.
* - Deadlines falling on the weekend or a holiday will be moved to the next business day.
Questions? Contact us!