Help us create a time line of Maryland Civil Rights stories!
Marylanders have always been in the forefront of the Civil Rights movement. An honor roll of famous Marylanders–Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglass, Thurgood Marshall, Lillie Mae Carroll Jackson, Carl Murphy, Parren Mitchell–were passionate advocates for Civil Rights.
But ordinary people also have fascinating stories to tell. You may have heard these stories from your parents or grandparents or experienced an event that in some way either illustrated the need for continuing efforts for racial equality or demonstrated how far we have come as a society in reaching this goal.
As part of the Maryland Humanities Council’s (MHC) two-year Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr,; Remembrance and Reconciliation special initiative, we want to hear your stories and make sure they are heard by others. To do this, MHC is building an on-line time line of Civil Rights related events experienced by Marylanders. MHC invites you to tell Marylanders your story as part of that time line. We started the time line with seminal dates in the national Civil Rights Movement–your stories will add the rich details about what affected Marylanders.
To have your story added to the time line:
1. Look at the time line at www.mdhc.org/programs/special-initiatives/music-of-the-movement/time-line/.
2. Tell us the date of the event and your name, if you would like to have it used.
3. Write no more that 150 words describing the event.
4. If possible, email a photo (in jpg format) that illustrates the event or a photo of you.
5. Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. MHC will review submissions before posting.
Also, join us for Music of the Movement: a Sustaining Voice, the culminating event for the Dr. King initiative, on Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 7:30 p.m. at the Performing Arts Center, Montgomery College-Takoma Park, 7995 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring 20910.
For details see www.mdhc.org/programs/special-initiatives/music-of-the-movement/.
The event is free; however registration is required at www.mdhc.org/programs/special-initiatives/music-of-the-movement/music-of-the-movement-event-registration/.